Sunday, November 17, 2013

Gotta Kick It Up

Ramón Menéndez, 2002
Buzzfeed article ranking: 15

This is a movie about a team of 31-year-old middle school girls who form a competitive dance troupe, while simultaneously learning important lessons about values. The movie features a young Ugly Betty.

I've searched the internet in vain for a plot synopsis of this movie, but I can't find one. I remember parts of it, but since there's no way for me to re-watch it, I'm flying blind here.

As I recall, these girls have a young, committed teacher who surprises them by revealing that she is also an expert dance instructor. They form a competitive troupe under her tutelage, but they are a ragtag and headstrong bunch. Their leader Daisy (who was actually not 31, but she was 24 and playing a ninth-grader) is dating a tough-guy dropout who offers little moral support and prefers to spend his time working on cars, like Fonzie.

The teacher advises her students against competing in a preliminary competition, but they won't take no for an answer. So they attend the match and screw the pooch because they are inexperienced. A variety of other things happen as well, including a subplot where Betty struggles to pass a math test or something. For some reason, it becomes necessary to have a charity car wash, and the bad-news boyfriend mends his ways and helps out. He also goes back to high school.

I also recall that Daisy wants to sign up to attend a performing arts high school, and she has to overcome self-doubt in order to make it.

It stands to reason that more events must have happened in the movie that I can't remember, but this will have to do. I have no strong feelings about this, so I will vote

No comments:

Post a Comment